I have gnome-calendar installed on Ubuntu 19.04, and gedit is still
displayed as the only available choice in the default app settings. The
workaround was to run the following: gio mime text/calendar
org.gnome.Calendar.desktop

Now gnome-calendar appears as the default (and only) calendar app...

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  GEdit is the only choice as Calendar application in Default
  Applications dialog

Status in gnome-control-center:
  Expired
Status in desktop-file-utils package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in desktop-file-utils source package in Oneiric:
  Won't Fix
Status in gtk+3.0 source package in Oneiric:
  Won't Fix
Status in desktop-file-utils source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in gtk+3.0 source package in Precise:

  In Ubuntu Oneiric (11.10) beta1, opening the Default Applications dialog
(System Settings -> System Information), GEdit is selected (and only possible
choice) for Calendar items.
  I think this is not expected, since it is not so useful to open calendar data
as standard text).

  In Oneiric Thunderbird is default email client. Currently Thunderbird7 beta
is installed, and I noticed the Lightning extension for Calendar is not
compatible with it yet.
  Will Thunderbird/Lightining be possible values for Calendar applications?

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.1.90-0ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-10-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Mon Sep  5 00:56:27 2011
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-control-center
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-09-03 (1 days ago)