** No longer affects: unattended-upgrades (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: unattended-upgrades (Ubuntu Trusty)

** No longer affects: unattended-upgrades (Ubuntu Xenial)

** No longer affects: unattended-upgrades (Ubuntu Yakkety)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  update-secure-boot-policy behaving badly with unattended-upgrades

Status in shim-signed package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in shim-signed source package in Trusty:
  Fix Released
Status in shim-signed source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in shim-signed source package in Yakkety:

  [Impact]
  Any user with unattended upgrades enabled and DKMS packages in a Secure Boot
environment might be prompted to change Secure Boot policy, which will fail and
crash in unattended-upgrades.

  [Test case]
  = unattended upgrade =
  1) Create /var/lib/dkms/TEST-DKMS
  2) Install new package
  3) Trigger unattended-upgrades: unattended-upgrades -d

  Upgrade should run smoothly for all the processing but fail to
  complete; shim-signed should end the unattended upgrade with a error
  as unattended change of the Secure Boot policy can not be done.
  Upgrade should not hang in high CPU usage.

  = standard upgrade =
  1) Create /var/lib/dkms/TEST-DKMS
  2) install new package.
  3) Verify that the upgrade completes normally.

  [Regression Potential]
  Any failure to prompt for or change Secure Boot policy in mokutil while in an
*attended* upgrade scenario would constitute a regression of this SRU.

  Any other issues related to booting in Secure Boot mode should instead
  be directed to bug 1637290 (shim update).

  ---

  Currently, unattended-upgrades will automatically install all updates
  for those running development releases of Ubuntu (LP: #1649709)

  Today, my computer was acting very sluggish. Looking at my process
  list, I saw/ usr/sbin/update-secureboot-policy was using a log of CPU.

  I killed the process. I have a /var/crash/shim-signed.0.crash but
  since it's 750 MB, I didn't bother submitting it or looking at it
  more. Maybe it crashed because I killed the process. Also, I see that
  unattended-upgrades-dpkg.log is 722 MB.

  Today's update included both VirtualBox and the linux kernel.

  I am attaching an excerpt of /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-
  upgrades-dpkg.log

  This message was repeated a very large number of times (but I only
  included it once in the attachment:

  "Invalid password

  The Secure Boot key you've entered is not valid. The password used must be
  between 8 and 16 characters."

  Package: shim-signed 1.23+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.4-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME