> Wow! Approaching 13-years and counting on this bug. Neat.

What's your point in making this statement? A decision was made soon
after the bug has filed and that decision still stands today. What does
the age of the decision have to do with it?

> Why not just throw a simple toggle into the installer, to surface this
issue, offering admins the option?

There are negative UX consequences of every "why not just ask the user"
in the installer. It's not reasonable to demand that the user receive an
education on using the system before being allowed to install it, which
is what used to feel like to install Debian around the time Ubuntu
launched (I don't know what the Debian installer experience is now).
Part of the point of Ubuntu was to do the sensible thing and not ask a
million questions. I am not looking to make a statement either way on
this particular decision. My point is merely that there *is* a UX
downside to "throw a simple toggle into the installer" and you are in
competition with a bunch of other Ubuntu users who want _their_ question
asked by the installer because they don't like some other default.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to adduser in Ubuntu.

  Home permissions too open

Status in adduser package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion
Status in Ubuntu RTM:

  Binary package hint: debian-installer

  On a fresh dapper install i noticed that the file permissons for the
  home directory for the user created by the installer is set to 755,
  giving read access to everyone on the system.

  Surely this is a bad idea? If your set on the idea can we atleast have
  a option during the boot proccess?

  Also new files that are created via the console ('touch' etc.) are
  done so with '644' permissons, is there anything that can be done
  here? nautlius seems to create files at '600', which is a better
  setting.