I'm also on 14.04 and can confirm the behaviour Andre described in post
#4: If I turn off bluetooth the indicator disappears after the next
reboot. As long as bluetooth stays turned on the indicator remains
visible regardless of rebooting.

If bluetooth is turned off and the indicator is not visible I can
reactivate it through the system settings – but after the turning-on
bluetooth keeps being deactivated and only the indicator becomes visible
again (greyed out; regardless of how many times I try to activate it in
the system settings, the switch always rebounds)! At least I'm then able
to activate bluetooth again through the indicator.

Another bug I've noticed (I guess it's related to this one): If
bluetooth is deactivated but the indicator is visible (greyed out) and I
click on the switch to enable bluetooth visibility in the indicator
(without actually enabling bluetooth beforehand) the indicator crashes
(and disappears of course). Naturally it seems weird to turn visibility
on while bluetooth is actually disabled but it is still a bug! To
improve usability and consistency the visibility switch should be
inactive (i.e. greyed out) while the switch to enable bluetooth is
"off".

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-bluetooth in

  bluetooth indicator disappears after turning off bluetooth

Status in “indicator-bluetooth” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Although bug 1126108 is marked as "Fix released", my indicator-
  bluetooth icon disappears after I use it to turn bluetooth off. See
  the attached animated gif.

  Package: indicator-bluetooth 0.0.6+13.10.20131016-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-17.31-generic 3.11.10.3
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-17-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
  Architecture: amd64