Public bug reported:

In Ubuntu Bionic's Ping.pm a test of the used socket's version is done
numerically although the Socket.pm's version contains a special
character ("_") which causes this warning message:

Argument "2.020_03" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at
/usr/share/perl/5.26/Net/Ping.pm line 1801, <DATA> line 755.

Since Socket.pm is part of the same package, the test is not really useful
anymore. I suggest removing it quick'n dirty via the attached patch to get rid
of the warning while conserving the "old way".

** Affects: perl (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bionic

** Patch added: "Fix to remove bogus socket version warning in Ping.pm"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1831423/+attachment/5268480/+files/ping-warning-fix.diff

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to perl in Ubuntu.

  Bogus warning message in Net::Ping in Bionic

Status in perl package in Ubuntu: