> So multiple ssh subprocesses should not be a huge issue, you could after all
> use ControlMaster and stuff to reuse the connection.

nice, I hadn't used ControlMaster before; that's useful.

> That said, it seems reasonable to create a shell script, or a Python script
> and
> execute that on the remote from stdin.

the problem with that, or even with directly calling add-apt-repository
on the remote system, is it needs to be called under sudo, and there is
no guarantee the sudo call is passwordless on the remote system, so the
request for password (stdin/stdout) needs to be provided to the user.  I
don't see any clean way of doing that, but also piping commands or a
script into stdin for execution on the remote side, without significant
complications, or pulling in an external lib like paramiko.

> That said, it would be an entirely different code path which I think might be
> worse
> than it maybe not working if the remote is at an older version.

Not sure how it would be worse.  Apt is quite clear on what needs to be
in place, and where, to add a new repo; place the apt source server conf
in Dir::Etc::sourceparts/d, place the apt archive's gpg key in
Dir::Etc::trustedparts/d, and place the apt archive login details (if
any) in Dir::Etc::netrcparts/d.  Is any of that incorrect, and/or will
any of that ever change?  If not, simply creating the proper files in-
place on the remote host should be all that's needed; all the logic of
figuring out the naming and content of the files takes place on the
local host.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to software-properties in

  Support Private PPAs

Status in software-properties package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in software-properties source package in Bionic:
  In Progress
Status in software-properties source package in Cosmic:
  In Progress
Status in software-properties source package in Disco:
  In Progress
Status in software-properties source package in Eoan:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Software properties add-apt-repository currently does not support
  adding private PPAs.

  software-properties should connect to the API and observe that it gets
  permission denied trying to read the ppa. Then it can reconnect to the
  API asking for authentication, which will open a browser window where
  you can do the openid ritual. Then using that token it ought to be
  possible for it to get the password etc.

  ProblemType: BugDistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  Package: python-software-properties 0.82.4