Mal, thanks for the logs, could you tell me, to make it easier for me to
find what went wrong, tell me which host names you queried with "dig",
which IP they should return, and through which DNS? Thank you.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  network-manager 1.10.14-0ubuntu2 ignores systemd-resolved configured
  dns

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in network-manager source package in Bionic:

  On 18.04.2 the `upgrade network-manager:amd64 1.10.6-2ubuntu1.1
  1.10.14-0ubuntu2` lead to scoped DNS servers defined in
  `/etc/systemd/resolved.conf.d/*.conf` being ignored.

  Downgrading with `sudo apt-get install network-
  manager=1.10.6-2ubuntu1.1` has resolved the issue for now.

  Example systemd-resolved conf:

  [Resolve]
  Cache=no
  DNS=127.0.0.54
  Domains=~.local.org.com

  Where 127.0.0.54:53 is bound to a dnsmasq server capable of resolving
  queries in that subdomain.