Public bug reported:

I was looking at the motd-news.service file and 50-motd-news recently
and discovered that 50-motd-news is always called with --force.

bdmurray@clean-disco-amd64:~$ systemctl cat motd-news.service
# /lib/systemd/system/motd-news.service
[Unit]
Description=Message of the Day
After=network-online.target
Documentation=man:update-motd(8)

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/etc/update-motd.d/50-motd-news --force

However, 50-motd-news leads one to believe that it would be faster if it
were not called with --force.

"
# If we're not forcing an update, and we have a cached motd-news file,
# then just print it and exit as quickly as possible, for login performance.
# Note that systemd should keep this cache file up to date, asynchronously
if [ "$FORCED" != "1" ]; then
        if [ -r $CACHE ]; then
                echo
                safe_print $CACHE
        else
                : > $CACHE
        fi
        exit 0
fi
"

So is login performance being degraded since 50-motd-news is always
called with --force?

** Affects: base-files (Ubuntu)

** Tags: disco eoan rls-ee-incoming

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to base-files in Ubuntu.

  50-motd-news always called with --force

Status in base-files package in Ubuntu: