Public bug reported:

after a fresh install of Xubuntu 18.04.02 I tried "Ubuntu, mit Linux
4.15.0-51-generic (recovery mode)"
and as a result got:

/lib/recocery-mode/recovery-menu: line 80: /etc/default/rcS: No such file or
directory
fsck from util-linux 2.31.1
/dev/sda4 is mounted
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

I check both the live DVD and the installed filesystem and found
/etc/default/rcS to be missing.

I copied it over from an old Xubuntu live DVD (it contains commented out
lines only) and now the error message is still:

fsck from util-linux 2.31.1
/dev/sda4 is mounted
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

This shouldn't happen on a newly installed system. I am a newbie to
Ubuntu and when my laptop has trouble when I'm on he road basics like
that should IMHO work as I won't have the ability to look for
workarounds and wouldn't want to boot into a possibly corrupted
filesystem.

Release:        18.04

util-linux:
  Installiert:           2.31.1-0.4ubuntu3.3
  Installationskandidat: 2.31.1-0.4ubuntu3.3
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 2.31.1-0.4ubuntu3.3 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

** Affects: util-linux (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to util-linux in Ubuntu.

  grub menu entry FSCK does not work

Status in util-linux package in Ubuntu: