Manually reverting to a previous version of /lib/x86_64-linux-
gnu/libbz2.so.1.0.4 corrects the issue for me.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bzip2 in Ubuntu.

  latest bzip2 reports crc errors incorrectly

Status in bzip2 package in Ubuntu:

  I just got the bzip2 1.0.6-8.1ubuntu0.1 updates pushed to my machine
  and am now having problems with some .tbz2 archives.  In particular, I
  can no longer extract this one:

  https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/dlc/l4t-jetson-xavier-driver-
  package-31-1-0

  Downloading this and running:

  bunzip2 -tvv Jetson_Linux_R31.1.0_aarch64.tbz2

  ...yields a CRC error.  The previous version of bunzip2 does not
  report any errors with this archive.