Thanks for updating the bug! I'll close it now.

** Changed in: openssh (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  Presence of sshd_config mandatory

Status in openssh package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  OpenSSH 7.9p1
  Ubuntu 18..04.2 (LTS)

  If a sshd daemon is started with a "-f my_sshd_config" command-line
  specification the sshd process still requires the existence of the
  sshd_config. The bug is somewhere in one of the forked processes
  started when an external client attempts a connection. Since the
  sshd_config file does not exists, an external client connection cannot
  be started.

  Solution: If I "touch /etc/ssh/sshd_config" then the lock-up issue
  goes away and I am successfully able to login.

  Bug: If the sshd configuration file is specified in the command line
  execution of the daeomon, then this should be the only file that
  should be required.