Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  Gnome on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS text copying triggers apparently useless
  file writes

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:

  I recently noticed a strange behavior on my (pretty vanilla) Ubuntu
  18.04.2 LTS. Every time I copy some text from GNOME Terminal, using
  keyboard or mouse, it triggers a little hard drive activity.

  Intrigued, I decided to see what was going on (persistent clipboard
  data?). After some investigation, I found out that the activity is due
  to a file being written to whenever I do a copy in GNOME Terminal (or
  in other apps):

      ~/.config/nautilus/desktop-metadata

  The small file seems to record the nautilus view settings and the
  trash icon state, has no apparent relation to functions of the
  clipboard, and does not mutate following each write (the content stays
  unchanged).

  I also tested to see if the same happens on a different computer
  running 18.04.2 desktop live usb, and the answer is yes. So this
  shouldn't be something particular to my system.

  --------------------
  Steps to reproduce:

  * Boot your computer using live CD or usb created with:
  ubuntu-18.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
  You can obtain it from:
  http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/
  last modified: 2019-02-10 00:27
  sha256: 22580b9f3b186cc66818e60f44c46f795d708a1ad86b9225c458413b638459c4)

  * Start Gnome Terminal, copy some text from there, and note the
  current time when you perform the copying

  * Check the timestamp of ~/.config/nautilus/desktop-metadata and
  observe it's been modified at the same time you did the copying

  * Repeat as many times as you like