Oh, you moved it to the initramfs-tools package maintenance group. My
apologies. I thought you closed the bug report.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Recent update causes boot failure

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu Studio 19.04 (also experienced with Ubuntu-18.04.2LTS with
  Studio Upgrade). Latest kernel 5.0.0-20 can't build an initialramfs
  due to problems finding fonts or Plymouth objects. On reboot, system
  can't start a display server. It loads, flashes, and then crashes,
  cycling endlessly. Can't get into the system with a pseudotty due to
  the display server cycling.

  It seems to be a support package and not the kernel directly. I
  downgrades the kernel to 5.0.0-13 by launching an installer USB and
  mounting the root filesystem that way. chroot to the mount point and
  use apt to purge the offending kernel directly. But the problem
  persisted.

  I re-installed with Ubuntu Studio 19.04 and during install system
  updates left the installer unable to write a boot record (because it
  couldn't create an initialramfs).

  Hardware:

  AMD 1950x Threadripper
  AMD VEGA FE
  Samsung nvme boot disk
  simple usb stick as install media.

  I don't have log output or screen output as I couldn't cut and paste
  or otherwise save it.