OS: Ubuntu 18.04.2
DE: Gnome Shell 3.28.2
Kernel: 4.18.0-25-generic
Nvidia driver: 430.26
Audio: Headphones (Motherboard) + Speakers (HDMI)

Found an workaround
(https://askubuntu.com/questions/1053076/18-04-sound-through-hdmi) and it
worked for me:
"When signal is lost to HDMI (during sleep) Pulse Audio is automatically
configured to active source (your laptop's speakers). Upon resume the sound
device is still your laptop. To override this setting, tell Pulse Audio to
never switch sound devices automatically:

edit the file /etc/pulse/default.pa
find the line load-module module-switch-on-port-available
insert a # at the beginning of the line to disable automatic port switching
save the file and reboot."

Steps to test workaround:
1) Change sound output to HDMI;
2) Open a browser (in my case Chromium snap) and wait for it to open;
3) Open media player (in my case VLC snap) and wait for it to open;
4) Play random video or music in both;
5) Pause playback;
6) Put Computer to sleep and wait like 30 sec;
7) Wake up from sleep;
8) Resume what was playing before going into sleep;
9) First time it could change output to Headphones, but at least I could switch
to HDMI at least in settings;
10) Repeat step .6 through .9 a couple of times;

The sound through HDMI should be working, could be switched and remains
the default even after waking up from suspend, except first time.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  No HDMI sound after suspend/resume

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  When plugging in a HDMI TV to Lenovo Carbon 3rd Edition, sound works
  perfectly, but when I suspend computer and resume it there is no sound
  via HDMI in TV. However sound via built in speakers works fine. The
  only thing I can do to restore sound is to reboot the machine. Similar
  problem was discussed in following thread
  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2251651 with no solution. I
  tested it on several versions of kernel 4.4.0 and on 4.4.8. Still no
  solution.