** Changed in: software-properties (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to software-properties in

  Modernize CD-ROM/DVD options

Status in software-properties package in Ubuntu:

  "Software & Updates" has CD/DVD options, which is (a) antiquated and
  (b) unclear how it works.

  I understand it likely works by standardized mount paths, but most
  users nowadays will be installing with a USB stick which has no
  support.

  Imagine a new user who needs to install custom broadlink drivers from
  USB stick, but there's no way to easily configure the package manager
  to do it. That was my situation, I ended up finding the .deb file on
  the USB manually.

  I think you should just rework all this as an "Installation Media"
  option, and search all mounted paths for an Ubuntu signature.

  (I originally posted in the wrong place and I was directed to post
  here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-
  software/+bug/1839212)