The fault returned and I swapped out monitor/pc with other units to
narrow down the fault to the monitor. A new monitor has fixed the
problem of losing the screen after 3 seconds or so.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to systemd-shim in Ubuntu.

  Video cuts out after 3 seconds

Status in systemd-shim package in Ubuntu:

  Using Desktop 19.04

  When I start the computer the video is fine until it boots up Ubuntu.
  Then, after 3 seconds approximately the monitor is blanked. I can turn
  the monitor off and on again and it shows Ubuntu, again for 3 seconds
  then the same black screen. Ubuntu is running and I can log in, click
  report error button in pop up and log out, during multiple 3 second
  intervals between switching on the screen and Ubuntu blanking it.

  I am currently using another computer to send this report.

  Anybody else with the problem? Anybody worked out a fix?