** This bug is no longer a duplicate of bug 1639776
   name resolution (dnsmasq) fails to send queries out after suspend/resume
reconnects the interface
   DNS server from vpn connection is not being used after network-manager
upgrade to 1.2.6

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  New NetworkManager breaks VPN DNS.

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Alright, this is going to be a frustrating bug for everyone involved I
  expect, but here goes.

  On Ubuntu 16.04, using a non-released VPN client (making this _much_
  harder for anyone to reproduce), upgrading the network-manager
  packages from 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.3 to 1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 quite
  handily broke DNS over the VPN.

  And it broke it really oddly.

  dnsmasq binds to socket 12 for the new interface, just fine.

  strace shows that it does the sendto for the DNS request, and that the
  poll calls are working, just fine.

  tcpdump shows the response messages, they are coming back from the
  correct host and port, going to my IP and the port that dnsmasq is
  sending from.

  There are no iptables rules involved, nothing is set to deny.

  dnsmasq is never getting the response packet.

  The request thus times out.

  Doing a host or dig directly to the DNS server works just fine.

  And this is completely reproducible, and goes away the moment I
  downgrade back to 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.3.

  Was there some change to how network-manager handles VPN
  interfaces/tap0 in the new version?