it's 2019 and the same bug still exists.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  NetworkManager always overwrites default route when connecting to
  OpenVPN network

Status in NetworkManager-OpenVPN:
  Invalid
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager package in Debian:
  New
Status in network-manager package in Fedora:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: network-manager

  My office VPN has IMAP, (forwarding) DNS services and not much else.
  It doesn't forward client traffic to the Internet. This means I can't
  use the VPN server as a default gateway.

  Every time I connect to the VPN using NetworkManager/OpenVPN, my
  routing table gets a default route to the VPN. I've tried everything
  to avoid this in both the Intrepid package and the version from the
  network manager PPA with no success. Even telling NetworkManager to
  ignore routes from the server doesn't work.

  As it is right now, I have to connect to the VPN, delete the default
  route, and re-add my wireless router as the default gateway before I
  can have both email and web access.

  See attached routing table details.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.10
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: network-manager 0.7-0ubuntu1~nm1~intrepid1
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
   LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  Uname: Linux 2.6.27-11-generic i686