Public bug reported:

The commit introducing the regression is this one:

commit bd08ce56156751d58584a44e766ef61340cdae2d
Author: Yu Watanabe <watanabe.yu+git...@gmail.com>
Date:   Mon Apr 15 17:34:00 2019 +0900

    network: prevent interfaces to be initialized multiple times

    When a uevent is received during the relevant interface is in
    LINK_STATE_PENDING, then the interface may be initialized twice.
    To prevent that, this introduces LINK_STATE_INITIALIZED.

I'll triage further and possibly revert the change in the next 243-based upload.

** Affects: netplan.io (Ubuntu)

** Affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: netplan.io (Ubuntu)

  Behaviour change in systemd 243 breaks netplan.io ethernets
  autopkgtest

Status in netplan.io package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu: