Thanks for your report!

Hmm... That wiki page you referred to was last edited 11 years ago and
is obsolete to a large extent.

Today, on an Ubuntu system, it's normally GTK (not IBus, so I'm closing
this bug report) which deals with rules in the ~/.XCompose file. I can
confirm that GTK does not seem to be able to handle multi character
strings. But if I switch to XIM it works for me.

* Open Language Support and change the "Keyboard input method
  system" to "XIM"

* Reboot

Please note, though, that replacing "IBus" with "XIM" may result in
other subtle issues.

** Changed in: ibus (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ibus in Ubuntu.

  Compose key does not create strings

Status in ibus package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  According to manual https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ComposeKey it is possible to
define sequences to type characters and strings with Compose key.
  In Ubuntu 18.04 sequences work for characters but not for strings, line like
this:
  seems to be ignored.

  $ apt-cache policy ibus
  ibus:
    Installed: 1.5.17-3ubuntu5.2
    Candidate: 1.5.17-3ubuntu5.2
    Version table:
   *** 1.5.17-3ubuntu5.2 500
          500 http://mirror.isoc.org.il/pub/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64
Packages
          500 http://mirror.isoc.org.il/pub/ubuntu bionic-security/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1.5.17-3ubuntu4 500
          500 http://mirror.isoc.org.il/pub/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages

  This problem first reported at Dec 11 '18 and also exists in Kubuntu
  18.04 (see https://askubuntu.com/questions/1099947/how-to-use-
  xcompose-to-produce-snippets).