I installed Lubuntu 18.04 LTS on VirtualBox, and I met similar issue.
The text messages on gajim chat window were messy. GTK didn't seem to
refresh the window and kept previous text overlapped on the window.

I found a discussion (in Chinese) here, they found an workaround
solution - changing desktop theme:

https://www.ubuntu-
tw.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=108158&forum=2&post_id=360960

My input method was changed to gcin. Other than that, LXDE related
settings were unchanged after Lubuntu installation.

After using lxappearance to change theme to "Industrial", the symptom
disappeared.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  gedit and gnome-calculator transparency/graphics corruption issue when
  GTK_IM_MODULE=xim is set

Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in im-config package in Ubuntu:

  In a "Ubuntu" (Xorg) session on 18.04 gedit and gnome-calculator
  suffer from a graphics issue where parts of their windows hold parts
  of wallpaper or other windows' contents as background.

  See attached screenshot.

  Package: light-themes 16.10+18.04.20180328-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME