@hyuwang the commit that fixes this appears to be:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/7884/commits/444c1915f94d7109b5fd97277b049ed17289848d

and that's already contained in systemd in Bionic (and later).  Are you
having this problem on Xenial?

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

** Bug watch added: github.com/systemd/systemd/issues #7883

** Also affects: systemd via

  18.04 timesyncd stop working after rack controller installed

Status in MAAS:
  Invalid
Status in systemd:
  Unknown
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  This is an upstream bug from systemd, see details here:

  But it's directly triggered by install maas -> avahi-daemon enabled ->
  nsswitch.conf changed.

  `timedatectl status` will always return "System clock synchronized:
  no" on rack controller host.

  systemd-timesyncd will exit immediately after start, strace
  /lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd give me the following error:

  ```
  writev(2, [{iov_base="Cannot resolve user name systemd"..., iov_len=58},
{iov_base="\n", iov_len=1}], 2Cannot resolve user name systemd-timesync: No
such process
  ) = 59
  exit_group(1)                           = ?
  +++ exited with 1 +++
  ```

  I'm not sure if maas can provide some workaround on this by default,
  right now I fix it by:

  sudo useradd -r systemd-timesync