I had the exact same issue, upon upgrading I got the same issues as
jhohertz, I followed the above instructions and the issue was fixed.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  NetworkManager 1.10.6-2ubuntu1.2 breaks VPN DNS

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  NetworkManager as of 1.10.6-2ubuntu1.2 has cause a regression whereby
  a VPN connection which sets it's dns-priority to a negative value,
  which should cause the DNS server supplied by the DNS connection to be
  placed first, instead now refuses to place the DNS server into the
  resolver under any circumstance.

  Pinning the 1.10.6-2ubuntu1.1 works around the issue.

  I suspect the fix-dns-leak-lp1754671.patch has caused this regression.

  This patch should be reverted as soon as possible to restore proper
  functionality of network manager with respect to VPN servers with DNS
  resolvers.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      18.04