For me, HDMI audio is selected in the options but sound plays in the
desired device. What is annoying is that I have to go to settings every
time I need to adjust the volume because the top right menu adjusts HDMI
audio. Am I having the same issue?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  PulseAudio automatically switches to HDMI sound output on login

Status in PulseAudio:
  New
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in pulseaudio source package in Eoan:
  Triaged
Status in pulseaudio source package in Focal:

  On my freshly installed eoan system I have two output devices:
  - HDMI/DisplayPort 2 - GK208 ...
  - Line Out - Family 17h ...

  When I login into the system pulseaudio always select the "wrong"
  one (HDMI) and I need to go to gnome-settings/Sound/Output Device
  and switch to "line out". This applies to every login/logout not
  just reboots.

  I would be good if it would remember this choice so that I have
  to do it only once.

  Or maybe (if that is technically possible)
  just output on both output devices by default - this would be
  even more user friendly for newbies who will have a hard time
  finding the right place to change this (or maybe have UI in the
  volume slider to select outputs if there are more than one?
  But anyway, my immediate concern is that it should just remember
  my choice :)

  Please let me know if I can provide more information. Happy to
  dig into code if needed but I will need some pointers.