I'm seeing exactly the same issue on Ubuntu 19.04

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to avahi in Ubuntu.

  avahi-daemon high cpu, unusable networking

Status in Avahi:
  New
Status in avahi package in Ubuntu:

  Currently running Kubuntu 18.10, Dell XPS 13 9350

  Since updating from Kubuntu 18.04 to 18.10, the avahi-daemon has been
  consistently hampering network performance and using CPU for long
  periods of time.

  When booting machine from off state, avahi-daemon uses an entire CPU
  at max load for approx 10 minutes. During this time, internet
  connectivity via wifi is essentially unusable. The wifi connection is
  good, but it seems that http transactions are cutoff mid-way so no
  webpage is able to load.

  When waking from sleep, the avahi-daemon causes similar symptoms, but
  with less than 1 full cpu usage, and with somewhat less degraded
  network performance, but still quite unusable.

  I have never had issues with avahi prior to the 18.10 upgrade, so I am
  fairly confident the issue is rooted in that change.

  Package: avahi-daemon 0.7-4ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu13
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  Date: Mon Oct 22 10:00:34 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Release amd64 (20170412)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   LD_PRELOAD=<set>
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: avahi
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to cosmic on 2018-10-20 (2 days ago)