Public bug reported:

Version: 0.130ubuntu3.9
Severity: normal

When adding "debug" to the kernel commandline debug output is turned on
and is very useful for debugging.  However, none of the scripts (eg.
local-premount/resume) recognize the debug variable to turn on tracing
as in init. I simply added the line '[ -n "${debug}" ] && set -x' as the
first line in local-premount/resume and now I get debug logging when the
debug kernel parameter is added.  This line should be added to all
scripts, or at least the scripts run by "run_parts".

** Affects: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

[...]

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  debug setting does not turn on tracing for scripts called by init

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu: