I don't know much, so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology.

Problem:
There is no ComposeKey mapping for the symbols ≈ (Unicode 2248) and ≅ (Unicode
2248) in Compose Tables.

Details:
According to  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComposeKey  the files such as
/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose  have all ComposeKey combinations to
type special symbols, characters and graphemes.
Two standard graphemes (≈ and ≅) seem to be missing from multiple compose files
although their negated versions (are present mapped to compositions

Solution?!: I propose this (but wouldn't know how to commit it except by filing
a bug - if it's straightforward to improve Linux, then please tell me how!  I'd
love to commit something to the code!
I added these lines to a copy of the  compose  file that I made at ~/.Xcompose
I propose that they should be added to the multiple, original  Compose  files
in:
  /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose
  /usr/share/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose
  /usr/share/X11/locale/iso8859-15/Compose
     etc etc etc

# _________________Added by Jackalux_____________________
<Multi_key> <asciitilde> <equal>        : "≅"   U2245 # APPROXIMATELY OR
ACTUALLY EQUAL TO
<Multi_key> <equal> <asciitilde>        : "≅"   U2245 # APPROXIMATELY OR
ACTUALLY EQUAL TO
<Multi_key> <asciitilde> <asciitilde>   : "≈"   U2248 # ALMOST EQUAL TO
# ____________End of Jackalux's additions________________

Notes:
The list at
https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/libX11/i18n/compose/en_US.UTF-8.html
also misses combinations for ≈ and ≅ .   Perhaps that should be updated too if
it is a reference list.

I also wanted to add:
APPROXIMATELY NOR ACTUALLY EQUAL TO
APPROXIMATELY NOR ACTUALLY EQUAL TO
APPROXIMATELY NOR ACTUALLY EQUAL TO
APPROXIMATELY NOR ACTUALLY EQUAL TO
EQUAL TO
EQUAL TO
But I've realised that they create clashes with other compositions, as the
composition forms before the ComposeKey is released.
If this can be corrected and added at the same time, then that would be amazing
as I don't know how to access the actual compositions listed for those
characters.

Co-operatively,
Jackalux

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

No ComposeKey sequence for ≈ (almost equal) and ≅ (approximately equal)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1854590
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Touch
seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.