not sure if pm-utils or kernel itself, as the system will suspend when
lid is closed while shutting down

** Package changed: kubuntu-meta (Ubuntu) => pm-utils (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pm-utils in Ubuntu.

  laptop sleeps when screen clsed during shutdown

Status in pm-utils package in Ubuntu:

  os: Kubuntu 19.10 - fresh install, all packages up to date as of 2 December
2019
  hardware: Thinkpad T470 i7-75000, 8GB RAM

  when the laptop is shutdown, if I close the lid before finishing
  powering down the laptop will suspend rather than shutdown. When I
  next open the lid, the laptop wakes and finishes shutting down.

  was not doing this with any release from Kubuntu 18.04 - 19.04.