Public bug reported:

I have tried diferant display managers (kdm nd lightdm) both are
effected sometims whn my sister turns on her netbook she can't type in
her password untill she puts th cmpute to sleep and wakes it up again,
this seems to be randome, from what I have been able to fine from
googling all over the place plymouth is to blame for this, seems to be
if it is still running when whateverdm starts you will not bable to
type.

on my own laptop I have had the same problem and was able to fix it by
adding a sleep 2 before exec lightdm in /etc/init/lightdm.conf

my sisters netbook needed  more then that, he delay got to 6 seconds
long and still wasn't reliable, I had to modify /etc/default/grub to ass
text after splash then put service lightdm restart in rc.local so she
could login most of the time.

she has had the problem in 14.04 and now in 14.10, I have had it sense
13.04

Package: xorg 1:7.7+7ubuntu2
Uname: Linux 3.16.0-23-generic i686
ApportVersion: 2.14.7-0ubuntu8
Architecture: i386
CurrentDesktop: KDE
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release i386 (20140416.1)
SourcePackage: xorg
Symptom: display
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to utopic on 2014-10-24 (0 days ago)

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: apport-bug i386 kubuntu utopic

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  keyboard sometimes doesn't respond at login

Status in “xorg” package in Ubuntu: