Public bug reported:

Seems support for the jpgl palette has been around in v4lconvert since 2011 or
so, but is not present in the ubuntu version.
Is there an easy way I can add that so I can get my old webcam working on
ubuntu?
I'm trying to use the cam with either"motion" or "fswebcam".

I tried this on an up to date 14.04LTS:
# v4l2-ctl --list-formats-ext
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT
        Index       : 0
        Type        : Video Capture
        Pixel Format: 'JPGL' (compressed)
        Name        : JPGL
                Size: Discrete 320x240
                Size: Discrete 640x480

# LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4lconvert.so.0.0.0 fswebcam
--- Opening /dev/video0...
Trying source module v4l2...
/dev/video0 opened.
No input was specified, using the first.
Unable to find a compatible palette format.
#

  Regards
  PeO

** Affects: v4l-utils (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to v4l-utils in Ubuntu.

  jpgl support in libv4lconvert is missing

Status in “v4l-utils” package in Ubuntu: