Oh. I didn't know. Thanks for explaining Daniel!

Yes, I can reproduce now with two different headsets. Both have a four
pin connector. One is from an Android phone, the other I think is Apple.

When I

* boot into Mac OS, and connect the Android headset, I can not see it as in
audio input in the settings
* boot into Mac OS, and connect the Apple headset, I can see it in the settings
* boot into Ubuntu and connect the Apple headset, I can not see it as an input

So, I think there is still some hardware detection not working properly
in Ubuntu.

I attach some photos.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  microphone of the headset is not detected

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I have a set of headphones that work as speakers and microphone
  without problem on an android phone or on macos. Under ubuntu they are
  only detected as outputs, but not as microphone. in the audio settings
  I can select the output to be one of: internal speakers, hdmi monitor,
  or these headphones. The only input is the internal microphone of the
  laptop. When I make a call with microsoft teams, the other end
  confirms that they hear the sound from the room.

  The headphones are similar to these: https://www.ebay.com/itm
  /Earphones-Handsfree-Headphones-for-Samsung-
  Galaxy-S8-A5-A7-A8-A9-J1-J3-J5-J7-UK/163465454907 with a connector
  with four segments. I also tried another set of headphones, different
  brand, same behaviour: work fine in other devices, work as output-only
  in ubuntu

  Package: pulseaudio 1:13.0-1ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  peter      1577 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  peter      1577 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME