Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better.

There is no package named `ifconfig` so you cannot file a bug against a
non-existent package.

Your "Apport told me that ifconfig was not installed. But it was!" is
incorrect as apport deals with packages not commands.  I have `ifconfig`
installed on my box too, and a `dpkg -S /sbin/ifconfig` reports "net-
tools: /sbin/ifconfig" ie. the command `ifconfig` is found in the "net-
tools" package and that is what you should use with appport.

Reading your report it appears you are mostly after support.

This bug report can be converted to a question (aimed at support, bug
reports are aimed and finding problems and fixing so subsequent users
won't stumble with the same issue).

You can also find help with your problem in the support forum of your
local Ubuntu community http://loco.ubuntu.com/ or asking at
https://askubuntu.com or https://ubuntuforums.org, or for more support
options please look at https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/community-
support/709

I'm going to mark this report "incomplete" as it appears to be about
support issues. If you believe I'm in error, please respond saying so in
comment, and then the Status can be returned to "New".

Thanks again for helping make Ubuntu better.

** Changed in: apport (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  Apport-bug wrongly complains about the program not being installed

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  I typed “apport-bug ifconfig” because ifconfig was wrongly behaving.
  Apport told me that ifconfig was not installed.  But it was!  So I
  restarted my computer, just in case, but the bug is still there.  And
  for all programs that it tried.  Including Apport itself.

  Currently, when I type “apport-bug apport-bug”, I get a window
  “Problem in apport-bug” with the following message: “The problem
  cannot be reported: This report is about a package that is not
  installed.” (See screenshot here-attached.)

  The error message is clearly wrong: apport-bug must be installed to be able
to display this window.
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportLog:
   ERROR: apport (pid 7467) Thu Dec 12 23:14:13 2019: called for pid 7431,
signal 6, core limit 0, dump mode 1
   ERROR: apport (pid 7467) Thu Dec 12 23:14:13 2019: executable:
/home/martin/.steam/ubuntu12_64/vulkandriverquery (command line
"/home/martin/.steam/ubuntu12_32/../ubuntu12_64/vulkandriverquery")
   ERROR: apport (pid 7467) Thu Dec 12 23:14:13 2019: executable does not
belong to a package, ignoring
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.9
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is the distribution channel descriptor for the OEM CDs
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-bionic-amd64-20180608-47+berlinetta-cfl-r+X77
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20180608-09:38
  Package: apport 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.9
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-1065.75-oem 4.15.18
  Tags:  bionic
  Uname: Linux 4.15.0-1065-oem x86_64
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True