Public bug reported:

Hello
The used version of ubuntu is 19.10
So the used version of ubuntu is  GParted 0.32.0
    and   the used of  resize2fs   is  1.45.3 (14-Jul-2019)

I wanted to shrink by 20 GB the size of an old partition created with
ubuntu 18.04 and stored on an external hard drive connected by USB3.

The process says it works perfectly well see attachment file
But the partition can no longer be mounted. The message is:
mount: /mnt/sdb2 : wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

if I do the stupidity to launch the fsk command to repair, I find all
the files and directory in the special directory called Lost + found

Being able to remake the original content, I have seen four times that
it gives this unpleasant result.

It also allows me to change the scenario.
- If I use an internal disk partition instead of the external disk, you're fine.
- If I use version 18.04, everything is fine even if I use the external disk
- If I make a new partition on the external disk in version 19.10, I can shrink
also without any problem.

So I think there is a software regression for a very specific context.

Thanks.

** Affects: e2fsprogs (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "Three traces"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1857914/+attachment/5316522/+files/Traces.txt

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to e2fsprogs in Ubuntu.

  resize2fs destroy the content of the partition

Status in e2fsprogs package in Ubuntu: