Public bug reported:

Every time I look at the flight mode status on my phone, it takes me an
extra second to understand the current state.  Flight mode is "on", and
shows a green check box, when the network is disabled; and flight mode
is "off", showing a black and white X, when the network is enabled.
This mental negation costs cognitive effort to decipher, because it's
using the same symbols as the individual services (wifi, gps,
bluetooth...) with an opposite meaning.

I'm not a designer, but my suggestion would be to use different symbols
for on/off than are used elsewhere in the UI.  (The other possibility
would be to change the name of the setting to give it an opposite sense;
I don't suggest doing this because "Flight mode" is a well-known name
for the functionality.)

** Affects: indicator-network (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-network in

  flight mode use of x and check mark is counterintuitive

Status in “indicator-network” package in Ubuntu: