Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 19.04 (disco) reached end-of-life on January 23, 2020.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test. If you then find the bug is still
present in the newer Ubuntu version, please add a comment here telling
us which new version it is in and change the bug status to Confirmed.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [Z97X-UD3H, ATI R6xx HDMI, Digital Out, HDMI] Sound quality over HDMI
  very poor at times.

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Frequently, I suffer from pops when playing audio over HDMI to my home
  cinema receiver. Stereo or 5.1 output doesn't matter, the pops happen
  regardless. The pops can go from a small one every few seconds, to
  constant loud pops. At times, all sound can also become muffled and
  have an unpleasant static tone. It's horrible, worse than the worst
  popping. Other times sound can be fine, sometimes for hours, but the
  pops always come back. I'm not experiencing any pops when switching to
  line out, although my testing here is limited.

  The problem started months ago, either in 18.10 or 18.04, and my
  impression is that it's even worse in 19.04. Certainly, the complete
  staticy mangling of all sound that occasionally happens is new. When
  the sound starts acting up, it can fixed sometimes partially,
  sometimes in whole, by switching between outputs and output
  configurations, and then switching back. It is also my impression that
  using multiple programs that play sound at the same time will have a
  high risk of triggering, and worsening, the problem.

  I don't think it's my home cinema receiver, as it works as it should
  with my several video game consoles. It was also flawless in Ubuntu 6
  months ago. It's not my GPU or its drivers, as I have had the same
  problem with both Nvidia and AMD.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu27
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  mattias   13111 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  mattias   13111 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC1D7p:   mattias   13111 F...m pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Apr 30 10:50:11 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:Generic failed
  Symptom_Card: HD-Audio Generic - HD-Audio Generic
  Symptom_Jack: Digital Out, HDMI
  Symptom_Type: Digital clip or distortion, or "overdriven" sound
  Title: [Z97X-UD3H, ATI R6xx HDMI, Digital Out, HDMI] Sound is distorted
  dmi.bios.date: 04/25/2014
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: F4
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: Z97X-UD3H-CF
  dmi.board.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  dmi.board.version: x.x
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  dmi.chassis.version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrF4:bd04/25/2014:svnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:pnZ97X-UD3H:pvrTobefilledbyO.E.M.:rvnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:rnZ97X-UD3H-CF:rvrx.x:cvnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:ct3:cvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
  dmi.product.family: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.product.name: Z97X-UD3H
  dmi.product.sku: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.product.version: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.sys.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.