Still seeing this issue on 19.10 with Firefox and 20.04 also.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gdebi in Ubuntu.

  Clicking 'Install' on gdebi-gtk makes it vanish ONLY when .deb opened
  from Chrome/Firefox

Status in Ubuntu MATE:
  New
Status in gdebi package in Ubuntu:

  Before anyone says this bug already exists... it doesn't (at least as
  far as I can see).  It's just that a lot of similar bugs do/did exist
  where people have also experienced the same symptoms (of gdebi-gtk
  vanishing upon clicking 'Install').

  So yes this is the same symptoms, but it must be a different cause as
  the circumstances are different and doesn't have the same resolution.

  The meat of it...

  Basically on a fresh install of Ubuntu MATE 18.04.3 amd64... with Firefox (or
with Chrome if you installed that) go to any site that offers a .deb package
and either...
  a) choose to open it directly from the browser (rather than saving it to
'Downloads' folder)
  b) or... save the file (e.g. to the 'Downloads' folder), BUT!.. open that
file from within the browser itself.

  You should find that gdebi-gtk appears but vanishes the moment you
  click 'Install' without a prompt for a password, an explanation or the
  package actually getting installed.

  This bug has existed since the beginning of Ubuntu 18.04 however it's
  been largely confused with other similar bugs.  I've had it on half a
  dozen machines and confirmed it exists with IRC users on #ubuntu-mate
  of freenode.

  However with *this* bug (compared to others) gdebi-gtk works perfectly
  fine if you run it from the terminal or just double click the .deb
  package from your file manager.

  It's the kind of bug which if you're a hardened desktop Linux user,
  you'd just work around it...

  But if you're a novice and you can't get a simple thing like
  Teamviewer installed (which is a .deb, and a thing I might ask someone
  to do over the phone to try to help them) you likely get fed up and
  re-install Windows :S

  Any input on this would be brilliant as I can't seem to get any
  logs/output.

  ~lantizia