I'm speculating that pango 1.44 dropping support for bitmap fonts might
be a cause: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/issues/386

** Package changed: fontconfig (Ubuntu) => pango1.0 (Ubuntu)

** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/issues #386
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/issues/386

** Description changed:

  For years I've installed a bitmap font for my terminals, but since I
  upgraded to Focal (development branch) today, it (and other bitmap
  fonts) no longer work.

  The font is 'Dina', from here:

http://www.dcmembers.com/jibsen/download/61/?unapproved=504&moderation-hash=f1abb9d89caafa881dcfc05cd32372e7

  I have always installed it using a script:

      # install dina
      sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/fonts/Dina
      cd /usr/share/fonts/Dina
      sudo unzip ~/Downloads/Dina.zip

      # enable bitmap fonts
      sudo rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf

      # rebuild the cache
      fc-cache -f -v

      # Set as default mono font
      gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface monospace-font-name "Dina 8"

  This has always worked in the past, through many versions of Ubuntu,
  including 19.10.

  I installed Focal today, using `sudo do-release-upgrade -d`.

  Now the above script does not make Dina visible in font selectors such
  as that produced by the Tweaks / Fonts / [Monospace Text] button.
  Terminals that were previously configured to use that font now display
  the "box of hex digits" characters (what are they called?)

- I cannot run 'gnome-font-viewer' to check things out, presumably due to some
variant of:
+ ~~I cannot run 'gnome-font-viewer' to check things out, presumably due to
some variant of:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-font-viewer/+bug/1375819
- (the window displays but immediately locks up.)
+ (the window displays but immediately locks up.)~~
+ UPDATE: gnome-font-viewer runs fine today. All bitmap fonts are not present.

  While trying to find a fix, I tried a few changes to the above script,
  which did not help:

  * Unzip to "$HOME/.fonts" instead
  * Trying other symlinks in the fonts config.d:

      (
          cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
          sudo rm -f 70-no-bitmaps.conf
          sudo ln -sf ../conf.avail/70-yes-bitmaps.conf
      )

    (tried with both 'yes-bitmaps' and 'force-bitmaps')
  * fc-cache -r # "really" force cache re-creation

[...]

+ gnome-font-viewer does not list any of the installed bitmap fonts.

  While trying to find a fix, I tried a few changes to the above script,
  which did not help:

  * Unzip to "$HOME/.fonts" instead
  * Trying other symlinks in the fonts config.d:

      (
          cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
          sudo rm -f 70-no-bitmaps.conf
          sudo ln -sf ../conf.avail/70-yes-bitmaps.conf
      )

    (tried with both 'yes-bitmaps' and 'force-bitmaps')
  * fc-cache -r # "really" force cache re-creation

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pango1.0 in Ubuntu.

  All bitmap fonts no longer visible after upgrade 19.10 -> Focal
  (development)

Status in pango1.0 package in Ubuntu: