those locks are most likely used by playback device only

name "IEC958 Front Playback Volume"
                                  index 0
                                  lock true
                                  preserve true
                                  value [ 207 207 ]   # Puts 0x30303030 in the
Volume register. 0xff - 0x30 = 0xcf = 207
                          }
                          {
                                  name "IEC958 Playback Switch"
                                  lock true
                                  preserve true
                                  value 1
                          }
                          {
                                  interface PCM
                                  name "IEC958 Playback Default"
                                  index 1
                                  lock true
                                  preserve true
                                  optional true
                                  value [ $AES0 $AES1 $AES2 $AES3 ]
                          }
                          {
                                  # for compatibility with older drivers
                                  name "IEC958 Playback Default"
                                  index 1
                                 lock true
                                  preserve true
                                  optional true
                                  value [ $AES0 $AES1 $AES2 $AES3 ]
                          }
                 ]

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  PulseAudio settings are not loaded correctly after boot

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  It seems that from time when PulseAudio is used in Ubuntu there is a
  problem with loading sound profiles.

  First from all, I intend to use 5.1 sound surround system.
  In my case there are only maybe 4 speaker playing, even that I see there is
5.1 profile configured.
  They are not muted.

  As temporarily fix I found it is enough, when I simply switch to
  different sound profile (for example 50) and then again to 51 - same
  one as previously configured. But after this re-switch, it just works
  as supposed.

  So it is clearly a bug, because it does not work after boot with same
  sound profile, but after switching to another and then back to 51
  analog surround, it is fixed.

  It is possible to change such profiles by pacmd command too.

  Tested sound card is Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.
  Running Ubuntu 14.04, but this bug is present there for years.

  Interestingly, there are two sound cards reported in my system.
  #0 is HDMI sound card from NVidia card.
  #1 is Sound Blaster card.