Public bug reported:

Running :
Ubuntu GNOME session 20.04 up to date
GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.35.91
Wayland session
French language configuration (fr in kb config files)
AZERTY keyboard

Upgrading from 2.26-2ubuntu4 to 2.29-1 caused my French AZERTY keyboard to be
QWERTY.
If I run :
setxkbmap fr
in a terminal, then everything becomes ok again.
The issue is not present in GNOME Terminal but is present in Synaptic or
Firefox e.g., I guess it could be X/Wayland apps difference ?

Anyway, downgrading to xkb-data 2.26-2ubuntu4 did solve the issue.

** Affects: xkeyboard-config

** Affects: xkeyboard-config (Ubuntu)

** Tags: focal

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #952731

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in

  [Focal] xkb-data 2.29-1 breaks AZERTY keyboard

Status in xkeyboard-config:
  Unknown
Status in xkeyboard-config package in Ubuntu: