I take that back.  Setting managed=true breaks the networking.

Even though I get the proper icon and all the network connection
information appears to be correct (both as displayed by ifconfig and
through the NM u/i), I cannot ping or connect to any service outside my
LAN.  Gateway and DNS services, IPv4 address and netmask all *look*
right, but nothing gets outside the LAN.  Setting it back to
managed=false fixes this but of course volcano-izes the icon.

I'll take functional networking over cosmetics. :)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Wired-only machine has empty volcano icon

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager

  I just upgraded my maverick desktop machine to natty.  This machine
  only has a wired connection, no wireless.  I'm used to seeing the
  up/down arrows for the nm icon in the menu bar, but now all I see is
  the empty volcano (or fan, or pie slice :) icon.  When I select Edit
  Connections, I do see just the Auto Ethernet wired connection I
  expect.