You are right. In the Debian version, the script is activated by "test
-x /sbin/resolvconf" where the presence of /sbin/resolvconf indicates
that the resolvconf package is installed. The convention in Debian is:
"If the resolvconf package is installed then disable your default resolv
.conf-updating behaviors and instead send the information to
/sbin/resolvconf".  In Debian the convention is furthermore that other
packages should NOT check whether or not /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink
and do things to /etc/resolv.conf if it isn't a symlink. In Debian,
installing resolvconf and deleting the symlink at /etc/resolv.conf is a
way of configuring the system such that the file is not updated by
anything.

Unlike Debian, Ubuntu includes resolvconf in the base install.
Furthermore Ubuntu has been afflicted by mysterious bug #1000244 which
is the problem that in rare cases /etc/resolv.conf fails to be a symlink
after resolvconf is installed. So perhaps there was a pragmatic reason
for Ubuntu to make a change whose effect is to restore dhclient's
default behavior when /etc/resolv.conf is not a symlink.

Nevertheless, as the Debian maintainer of resolvconf, I agree with you.
:)

** Summary changed:

- unexpected behavior: make_resolv_conf not undefined
+ Unexpected behavior: make_resolv_conf is not undefined if /etc/resolv.conf is
not a symlink

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to resolvconf in Ubuntu.

  Unexpected behavior: make_resolv_conf is not undefined if
  /etc/resolv.conf is not a symlink

Status in “resolvconf” package in Ubuntu:

  The resolvconf package comes with /etc/dhcp/dhclient-enter-
  hooks.d/resolvconf which, if /sbin/resolvconf is present, undefines
  make_resolv_conf() (previously defined by dhclient-script) and calls
  resolvconf.

  However, the hook checks if /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink even though
  /sbin/resolvconf already handles this.

  This is problematic because it never undefines the make_resolv_conf
  function which dhclient-script defines itself.

  For me, the expected behavior would be /etc/resolv.conf never changing
  if resolvconf is installed and /etc/resolv.conf is not a symlink.

  At the very least, I think this behavior should be documented in the
  man pages for resolvconf.  Furthermore, debian does not implement this
  patch and it exists starting in 12.04 until current.

  As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no reason to check it twice
  if resolvconf already implements it.

  It was introduced by: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
  branches/ubuntu/trusty/resolvconf/trusty/revision/32/etc/dhcp
  /dhclient-enter-hooks.d/resolvconf