This release of Ubuntu is no longer receiving maintenance updates. If
this is still an issue on a maintained version of Ubuntu please let us
know.

** Changed in: apport (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  grub-probe can't handle large number of devices

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  Running Ubuntu server 12.04.4LTS.  Server is attached to several disk trays
plus a boot disk.   Total number of drives is 138.   25 of the drives are
multi-pathed and am running multipathd to create entries in /dev/mapper for the
drives.    when updating grub, grub-probe issues the error:

  -------
  Setting up grub-common (1.99-21ubuntu3.15) ...
  Setting up grub2-common (1.99-21ubuntu3.15) ...
  Setting up grub-pc-bin (1.99-21ubuntu3.15) ...
  Setting up grub-pc (1.99-21ubuntu3.15) ...
  grub-probe: error: device count exceeds limit.
  grub-probe: error: device count exceeds limit.
  grub-probe: error: device count exceeds limit.
  ---------

  Grub enumerates /dev/sd*, and /dev/mapper/* files.    Since some of
  the drives have partitions on them they are also added to the list.
  So grub would see about 300 devices.

  work-around is that I have to reboot the server, un-hook several of
  the trays, run an update, then reboot & rehook the trays.      This
  makes remote support impossible as I have to be physically present to
  move the cables, also it requires downtime for a simple grub update
  which otherwise would not.

  Realistically the limit here should be increased to 1024 or more
  devices.   The vast majority of the drives I have are raw (non
  partitioned) which I use volume management tools to parse out, but
  others would probably be using partitions which would easily double or
  more the number of devices presented.