This release of Ubuntu is no longer receiving maintenance updates. If
this is still an issue on a maintained version of Ubuntu please let us
know.

** Changed in: apport (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  Can't use apport - 'not an official package'

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  I've been trying to report a kernel bug but apport doesn't work. I've
  tried several ways, as instructed;

  ubuntu-bug linux
  apport-cli -f
  apport-cli -f -P 1
  apport-cli -f -p linux --save bug.apport
  apport-cli -f -p linux-image-3.5.0-17-generic --save bug.apport

  These seem to be right based on the man pages and
  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs , but all of them
  report something akin to

  'This is not an official Ubuntu package. Please remove any third party
  package and try again.'

  This seems wrong, not helpful, and odd, since I'm just booting from
  the downloaded official xubuntu 12.10 live DVD. It would seem that all
  packages in this distribution would be Official.

  My question is, how can I report my kernel bug? Also, how can I report
  this bug against apport (I get the same error when I try to use apport
  to do so).

  Please note other people seem to be having similar problems as well.

  Release:       12.10

  $ apt-cache policy apport
  apport:
    Installed: 2.6.1-0ubuntu3
    Candidate: 2.6.1-0ubuntu3
    Version table:
   *** 2.6.1-0ubuntu3 0
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       2.4-0ubuntu8 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages

  What I expected to happen: for it to report the bug(s) correctly, or
  to provide a helpful error message explaining why it could not,
  possibly pointing me in the right direction to resolve the issue.