I installed a fresh Ubuntu 18.04.3 and updated nearly every package one
by one (to name a few, pulseaudio, libasound, systemd, kernel (4.15,
later HWE 5.3) - all to no avail, up to a full upgrade of all packages
so now the system is 18.04.4. The problem is not reproducable with a
fresh and clean installation.

But we have a new case, the colleague got the auto security updates on
2020-03-02 and did a manual package update on 2020-03-04. After the
updates on 2020-03-04 the system was rebooted by the user, and now has
the same bug.

This affects both wired (USB) and wireless (bluetooth) headsets. As soon
as the headset is connected and re-connected it's not recognized.
Running "pkill -U $USER pulseaudio" solves this problem in 8/10 cases.
The other 2/10 are full system reboots.

Attached is the dpkg.log with the updates from 2020-03-02 and
2020-03-04. I couldn't determine anything that would point near the/a
problematic package.

I still need to find a way to restart pulseaudio with a higher debug
level to check if anything pops up with pulse.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  pulseaudio doesn't detect (new) USB headset

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  When booting the system (Lenovo Thinkpad L480/L490), all connected USB
  headsets are recognized and can be used, and configured via
  pavucontrol.

  When hot-plugging the USB headset, either the speaker is recognized,
  or the microphone, rarely both. But when both are recognized, the
  microphone is always a "multichannel" device. When both the speaker
  and the "multichannel" microphone are recognized, only one can be used
  - either speaker or microphone. When selecting the speaker, the
  microphone is switched back to any other device available, them same
  goes for the microphone and the speaker - any other speaker is
  selected.

  A workaround is to plug in the USB headset and run "pkill -U $USER
  pulseaudio". Everything works fine until the next hot-plug (eg. a
  second headset).

  Running "lsb_release -a" gives
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      18.04
  Codename:     bionic

  Attached is the output from "ubuntu-bug pulseaudio". Currently 10 % of
  our users are affected by this bug, all running the same Ubuntu and
  package versions. I activated the proposed repository to check if any
  updates available fix the problem, but to no avail. I also switched
  kernels (from 4.15 to 5.5 mainline from
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds).

  I read bug #1325282
  (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1325282)
  and it sounds somewhat very familiar, but instead of "env={}" in
  /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/detect/sl-modem.py there's "env=env".
  Removing "env=env" doesn't resolve the problem.

  Do you require additional information?