Thanks for taking a look. Yes, it looks like the `date` utility now
observes locale-based defaults, such as the new default:

$ date
Wed 25 Mar 2020 09:47:47 AM PDT

Here are some other combinations I tried:

$ LC_TIME="" date
Wed 25 Mar 2020 09:47:53 AM PDT

(setting LC_TIME to an empty string has no effect; the LC_TIME value
most likely obtains a default value based on a different setting.)

The following variations produce the (formerly, at least) expected
output:

$ LC_TIME="C" date
Wed Mar 25 09:47:59 PDT 2020

$ LC_ALL="C" date
Wed Mar 25 09:48:25 PDT 2020

$ LANG="C" date
Wed Mar 25 09:52:08 PDT 2020

This post suggests that LC_ALL should be set to C if the output of these
utilities is meant to be read by computers:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/87763/4295

So while this new default does have the potential to cause regressions
in users' scripts (and could be considered a regression in that sense),
the fix is to correctly set LC_ALL=C in when the `date` utility is
invoked in situations where its output is intended to be parsed.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to coreutils in Ubuntu.

  date utility format unexpectedly changed after upgrade from bionic to
  focal

Status in coreutils package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading my Bionic system to Focal, I noticed a significant
  change in the output of the `date` utility. This could potentially
  cause regressions for those who are relying on a consistent date
  format when using `date` in shell scripts.

  EXPECTED BEHAVIOR
  =================

  I expected to see the same date format that can be seen on Ubuntu
  releases (at least) from Trusty through Bionic:

  $ date -u
  Wed Jan  8 21:00:14 UTC 2020

  ACTUAL BEHAVIOR
  ===============

  On Focal (and Eoan) the following date format is seen by default:

  $ date -u
  Wed 08 Jan 2020 09:00:14 PM UTC

  Note the differences in zero-padding, whitespace, placement of the
  year, and the extraneous "PM" (I had expected to see a 24-hour time).

  FURTHER DETAILS
  ===============

  This machine was originally on Bionic and has been upgraded to
  development releases between Bionic and Focal.

  $ locale
  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  LANGUAGE=
  LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"