Public bug reported:

There is an outstanding regression in i915 that breaks the RC6 power
state for Intel iGPUs on Skylake and newer. This bug was fixed upstream
in Linux 5.5. I submitted a backport of the fix for 5.4 upstream [1].

My cover letter [2] describes the issue:
The first bug, fixed by "drm/i915/gt: Schedule request retirement when timeline
idles" upstream, is very high power consumption by i915 hardware due to an old
commit that broke the RC6 power state for the iGPU on Skylake+. On my laptop, a
Dell Precision 5540 with an i9-9880H, the idle power consumption of my laptop
with this commit goes down from 10 W to 2 W, saving a massive 8 W of power. On
other Skylake+ laptops I tested, this commit reduced idle power consumption by
at least a few watts. The difference in power consumption can be observed by
running `powertop` while disconnected from the charger, or by using the
intel-undervolt tool [1] and running `intel-undervolt measure` which doesn't
require being disconnected from the charger. The psys measurement from
intel-undervolt is the one of interest.

Backporting this commit was not trivial due to i915's high rate of
churn, but the backport didn't require changing any code from the
original commit; it only required moving code around and not altering
some #includes.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/stable/20200330033057.2629052-3-sul...@kerneltoast.com/
[2]
https://lore.kernel.org/stable/20200330033057.2629052-1-sul...@kerneltoast.com/

** Affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** Affects: linux (Ubuntu Focal)

** Also affects: linux

** No longer affects: lightdm (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: linux

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Focal)

** Description changed:

-
+ Backporting this commit was not trivial due to i915's high rate of
+ churn, but the backport didn't require changing any code from the
+ original commit; it only required moving code around and not altering
+ some #includes.

  [1]
https://lore.kernel.org/stable/20200330033057.2629052-3-sul...@kerneltoast.com/
  [2]
https://lore.kernel.org/stable/20200330033057.2629052-1-sul...@kerneltoast.com/

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  High power consumption by Intel iGPU on Skylake+

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in linux source package in Focal: