I'm running the proposed version on eoan, lenovo X1C7.

Can confirm the microphone works.
Two questions:
1) What is the new 'configuration' dropdown in the settings->Sound
    It has the options 'Play HiFi Music', Play to Hdmi1...3'

2)
My Output device was selected as the speakers on the laptop. However sound
was played over my external monitor.
After switching to the external monitors and switching back the sound was
on the laptop speakers. And then the microphone started working.
What is going on?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-lib in Ubuntu.

  [SRU] Load ucm on Lenovo notebooks based on bios version

Status in HWE Next:
  New
Status in alsa-lib package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in alsa-lib source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in alsa-lib source package in Eoan:
  Fix Committed
Status in alsa-lib source package in Focal:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  This SRU is not backported from upstream of alsa-lib and this SRU is
  not going to be submitted to upstream. That is because the latest
  alsa-lib already supports ucm2, and with ucm2 all machines could share
  one ucm, so latest alsa-lib does not have this problem. This problem
  is only specific to the alsa-lib in Bionic and Eoan.

  [Impact]
  On some Lenovo notebooks, UCM files are not loaded and mic can't be used.

  [Fix]
  UCM was loaded based on cardlongname, but that can't cover all configs of the
same model. Lenovo suggested to load  ucm by the first 3 letters of
/sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/bios_version, so that all configs could use just
one ucm.

  [Test Case]
  After applying this patch, install the testing alsa-lib on Lenovo X1C7 and
Dell vostro 5390, which are all machines with the DMIC connected to PCH. After
system bootup, check the /usr/share/alsa/ucm/ for the presence of
LENOVO-BIOSID-xxx directories.

  Lenovo X1C7 should load the N2H/*.conf and verify the audio
  functionalities. The Dell machine should still load the ucm by
  cardname, and it should work as good as before.

  [Regression Potential]
  low, just add some new UCMs and let Lenovo machine find the UCM by
bios_version if it fails by cardlongname. I've already tested the change on
Lenovo and Dell machines.