This is actually because gnome-shell is a not fully phased update and as
such appears as an available update to apt but not to update-manager
which respects phasing of packages.

** Package changed: ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) => apport (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: apport (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu bugs cannot be reported because of obsolete package versions,
  but everything is up-to-date

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I had at least two or three crashes, and they cannot be submitted
  because some "obsolete package versions" have been found. However,
  under my update settings every update source is activated, and there
  are no updates (i checked ASAP after the crash report). I reported it
  here because there was no section for "updates" in "Find right
  package" on Ubuntu wiki. This bug might be very dangerous if it is
  experiences on many machines - other bugs will be missing bug reports.

  Ubuntu 19.10

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:19.10.15.4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8.8
  Architecture: amd64
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Apr 11 21:35:19 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Release amd64 (20191017)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: ubuntu-release-upgrader