I'm not actually sure how you can compile them before reboot (so before
the update was applied), but if you say that's possible, I'm sure we can
think of something. We should probably stop the session straight away
and display a progress spinner akin to the one in recovery. I just want
to try and limit the number of user-visible "steps" an update is taking,
is all.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to click-apparmor in Ubuntu.

  hook into system-image updates to precompile policy prior to reboot

Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
  New
Status in “click-apparmor” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity8” package in Ubuntu:

  Occasionally users will receive and OTA update that requires apparmor
  policy to be recompiled. Recompiling apparmor policy can take quite a
  bit of time (minutes) depending on how many applications the user has
  installed. While this is only expected to happen on major OTA OS
  upgrades (eg, 14.10 to 15.04), it is possible it could happen at other
  times. This would improve the user experience for developers
  considerably since policy recompiles can be relatively frequent when
  running the development release.

  To improve the user experience, we should detect and recompile
  apparmor profiles prior to reboot but after system-image updates has
  downloaded the new update. This always for the possibility of using a
  progress meter when compiling policy (which we currently cannot).
  Needs design input for when to do it and how the progress meter should
  look.