the log has a
 /usr/sbin/vpnc: hash comparison failed:  (ISAKMP_N_AUTHENTICATION_FAILED)
unsure if that has to do with the issue

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Lost all VPN passwords on upgrades and refuses to save them now

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  On upgrade to Ubuntu-MATE 19.10, the network manager lost all my VPN
  passwords and now silently fails to store them when I select "save for
  this user", and even if I delete a VPN connection and create it again
  with that option, I always have to re-enter the password to use the
  VPN.

  It did not lose an wi-fi passwords.